What is CTS in medical terms? What does CTS stand for medical? Let’s find out about CTS medical abbreviation meaning!
Table of Contents
CTS medical abbreviation list
- Cardio-Thoracic Surgery
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Cardiotonic steroids
- Cell Transplant Society
- Certified Trauma Specialist
- Clinical Trial Services
CTS in medical terminology – Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) is a common condition that causes numbness, tingling, and other symptoms in the hand and fingers. It is caused by compression of the median nerve as it passes through the carpal tunnel, a narrow passageway in the wrist.
Symptoms of CTS may include:
- Tingling, numbness, or a “pins and needles” sensation in the thumb, index finger, middle finger, and part of the ring finger
- Weakness or clumsiness in hand and fingers
- Pain or discomfort in the wrist, hand, or arm
- A feeling of swelling in the hand, even if there is no visible swelling.
CTS is often caused by repetitive hand and wrist movements, such as typing or using a mouse, and other factors, such as obesity, pregnancy, and certain medical conditions. It is more common in women than men and is most often seen in people between 30 and 60.
CTS is typically diagnosed based on the patient’s symptoms and a physical examination. Additional tests, such as nerve conduction studies or imaging tests, may be ordered to confirm the diagnosis.
Treatment for CTS may include:
- Wrist splints: These devices help to keep the wrist in a neutral position and reduce pressure on the median nerve.
- Physical therapy: Exercises and stretches can help to improve flexibility and strengthen the muscles in the hand and wrist.
- Medications: Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) or corticosteroids may be prescribed to help reduce inflammation and relieve pain.
- Surgery: In severe cases, surgery may be necessary to release the pressure on the median nerve by cutting through the transverse carpal ligament.
CTS is a treatable condition, and most people experience improvement with the appropriate treatment. It is important to seek medical attention if you experience any of the symptoms of CTS, as early treatment can help to prevent the condition from worsening.
CTS medical term definition – Cardio-Thoracic Surgery
Cardio-Thoracic Surgery is a type of surgery that involves the treatment of conditions affecting the heart, lungs, and other organs in the chest. It is a highly specialized field that requires extensive training and experience.
There are many different types of cardio-thoracic surgery, including:
- Coronary artery bypass surgery: This procedure involves bypassing blocked or narrowed coronary arteries with healthy blood vessels to improve blood flow to the heart.
- Heart valve surgery involves repairing or replacing damaged or diseased heart valves.
- Heart transplant surgery involves replacing a damaged or diseased heart with a healthy donor heart.
- Lung surgery may include procedures such as lobectomy (removal of a lobe of the lung), pneumonectomy (removal of an entire lung), or surgery to remove tumors or repair collapsed lungs.
- Thoracic aortic aneurysm surgery involves repairing or replacing an aneurysm (a bulge or swelling) in the thoracic aorta.
Cardio-thoracic surgery is typically performed using a combination of traditional open surgery and minimally invasive techniques, such as laparoscopy or robotic surgery. The most appropriate method will depend on the patient’s specific needs and the surgeon’s judgment.
Cardio-thoracic surgery is typically reserved for patients with severe or life-threatening conditions and carries a higher risk of complications than other types of surgery. However, with modern techniques and the expertise of experienced surgeons, the outcomes of cardio-thoracic surgery can be excellent.
CTS abbreviation medical – Cardiotonic steroids
Cardiotonic steroids are a group of drugs used to treat heart failure and other cardiovascular conditions. They work by increasing the heart’s contractility, which makes the heart pump more effectively. This can help to improve symptoms such as shortness of breath, fatigue, and edema (swelling).
There are several different types of cardiotonic steroids, including:
- Digitalis: This is a group of drugs that includes digoxin and digitoxin. Digitalis drugs are derived from the foxglove plant and have been used to treat heart failure for over 200 years. They work by increasing the contractility of the heart and slowing the heart rate.
- Cardiac glycosides: These drugs, which include ouabain and marinobufagenin, are similar to digitalis drugs and are often used in combination. They work by increasing the contractility of the heart and have a potent diuretic effect, which helps to reduce edema.
- Adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH): The pituitary gland produces this hormone, which stimulates the adrenal gland to produce cortisol. ACTH has been shown to improve heart function and reduce mortality in patients with severe heart failure.
Cardiotonic steroids are typically used in patients with severe heart failure who have not responded to other treatments, such as diuretics.
CTS meaning in medical terms – Clinical Trial Services
Clinical Trial Services support pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device companies during the clinical trial process. Clinical trials are research studies that involve the use of investigational drugs, devices, or other interventions to evaluate their safety and effectiveness in humans.
Clinical Trial Services can offer a wide range of support to sponsors and investigators, including:
- Protocol development: This involves the creation of a detailed plan for the conduct of the clinical trial.
- Site selection and management: Clinical Trial Services can help sponsors and investigators identify and select appropriate clinical trial sites and manage the recruitment of study subjects.
- Data management: This includes collecting, processing, and analyzing data from the clinical trial.
- Regulatory affairs: Clinical Trial Services can help sponsors and investigators navigate the complex regulatory landscape surrounding clinical trials and ensure they comply with all relevant laws and regulations.
- Quality assurance: Clinical Trial Services can help sponsors and investigators ensure that the clinical trial is conducted by good clinical practices (GCP) and that the data is of high quality.
Clinical Trial Services aims to help sponsors and investigators conduct high-quality clinical trials that generate reliable and meaningful data. This can help to bring new and innovative treatments to market more quickly and improve patient care.
Well, I hope you understand about CTS medical abbreviation meaning.