What is obstipation definition in medical terms? What causes obstipation?
Table of Contents
Define obstipation – What is obstipation? Obstipation is severe constipation that is not treated.
Obstipation comes from the Latin:
- Ob means in the way = trip
- Stipare means to compress = suppress
In terms of obstipation, a severe form is usually caused by obstruction of the movement of faeces in the intestine (the presence of intestinal obstruction).
Obstipation meaning in medical terminology
An obstipation is a severe form of constipation. This obstipation can occur because of constipation that is not handled correctly. And if left untreated, constipation can lead to severe complications.
Obstipation vs constipation
Symptoms between constipation and constipation are very similar, where there is difficulty passing stool (defecation). However, constipation is distinguished from constipation based on its cause, where constipation is caused other than intestinal obstruction while constipation is due to intestinal obstruction.
- Having hard stools within 3–5 days.
- Sometimes accompanied by a feeling of a full stomach because of faeces or gas in the stomach.
- The stool that is given outlooks hard and dry and is in the shape of small spheres.
- There is blood in the stools.
- Decreased appetite.
Cause of obstipation
- Obstipation due to obstruction of the intraluminal bowel includes the presence of cancer in the intestinal wall.
- Obstipation is due to obstruction of the extra lumen of the intestine, usually due to compression of the intestine by an intra-abdominal mass, for example, the presence of a tumour in the abdomen pressing on the rectum.
- There are abnormalities in the body’s metabolic system caused by:
- Abnormalities in the innervation of intestinal segments such as Hirschsprung’s
- Intestinal disorders of the lower intestine
- Neurological developmental disorders
- Endocrine system disorders
If you have obstipation, you can do the following:
- Eat more high-fibre foods like vegetables and fruits.
- Get lots of water.
- Exercise more often at home.
- Manage stress better.
It would help if you saw a doctor for specific medical treatment for severe constipation.
Includes resuscitation to correct body fluids and electrolytes, nasogastric decompression in severe obstruction to prevent vomiting and aspiration, and other medications to prevent worsening pain.
To treat obstruction according to the cause of obstruction and to prevent bowel perforation due to high pressure. For example, Obstipation total obstruction is urgent for immediate action, which, if done too late, can result in intestinal perforation due to a significant increase in faecal pressure.
It is recommended not to eat anything; in partial obstruction, one can be given liquid food and oral medications.